Sydney Retail Manager - Job Description
JOB TYPE: Full Time
HOURS: 38 hours/week + reasonable additional hours
ROSTER: 5 days
START DATE: TBC (Ideally end of January 2024)
PROBATION: 3 months
REMUNERATION: $68,500 + Super
LOCATION: Climbing Anchors Alexandria
REPORTS TO: Retail Operations Manager
ABOUT CLIMBING ANCHORS
We are a homegrown Australian gear store founded in 2004 which has been steadily growing since 2010. What initially began as an online only operation has transformed over the years to now include four physical stores. The first flagship store was Alexandria, NSW, in 2017, followed by Collingwood, VIC, (now located in Fitzroy) in 2018, and then our Mini Stores in 9 Degrees Lane Cove and Waterloo, NSW.
Our stores are more than just gear shops. Our team is made up of enthusiastic climbers, canyoners and outdoor adventurists from all different walks of life. We love getting out there and engaging in the sports we love, sharing our stories and passing on the stoke to everyone who walks through our doors; no matter what stage they're at.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a new Retail Manager to lead the Retail Management team and run the operations at our Sydney stores. They will work alongside the Retail Operations Manager and with the Assistant Retail Manager to lead the Sydney Retail team, and to help ensure the success, and health of all three Sydney retail locations.
The successful candidate must be an enthusiastic gear head with experience in climbing and/or similar adventure sports (e.g. high-lining, canyoning, caving etc.). You will be responsible for working with the Assistant Store Manager to drive outstanding customer service, maximise sales, and ensure the overall health and growth of the Alexandria and Mini Stores. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing your staff through coaching and training and keeping up to date with product knowledge and information.
To succeed in this role you will be motivated by seeing climbers get the gear they need, driving sales, talking about climbing, hanging out with climbers, feeding the stoke, and being passionate about providing a positive and welcoming service experience for every person who walks through our doors. This is a full time permanent position and will require availability over weekends, late night trading hours and some public holidays.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
This position is responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
- Oversee all the operations of the Alexandria main store, Lane Cove & Waterloo Mini Stores.
- Work with the Retail Operations Manager to implement retail strategies based on company direction.
- Lead, motivate and support a team of up to 20 causal and part time staff, including managing team performance.
- Foster a work environment inline with CA culture and values, and ensure compliance with all relevant legislation & awards.
- Motivate the team to meet sales objectives by guiding, training & mentoring staff.
- Assisting with the online store operations, including but not limited to:
- Handling online store operations outside of Customer Service hours
- Ensure the timely shipment of online orders from the Alexandria store
- Be available to respond to staff queries outside of rostered hours via internal communications.
- Clearly and concisely communicate business and store objectives to the CA team so everyone remains well informed of business activity.
- Inventory management of each Sydney retail location.
- Management of each location's finance inline with company direction.
- Work with gym managers in the general running of the mini-stores.
- Interview, onboard and train new staff in accordance with Climbing Anchors policies & procedures
- Oversee rostering, leave & wages to ensure they are meeting company direction
- Work with the Retail Operations Manager to ensure that the visual presentation of the store represents the brand image inline with any retail or marketing direction.
- Represent Climbing Anchors at events we support in the local climbing community, and help be the face of CA in Sydney by assisting to host pop up stores in gyms.
- Work with the marketing team to help promote the physical stores online.
- Continuously seek to improve your technical and practical knowledge of climbing gear in the market.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Must be a rock climber with a passion for the outdoors. Experience across a wide range of climbing disciplines is highly advantageous.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to provide a genuine, positive, and unique customer experience.
- Attention to detail
- Prioritisation skills
- Familiarity with computer software and technology
- Previous supervisory/management experience, ideally in a retail environment.
- Experience with inventory management software and POS systems.
- Knowledge in loss prevention and health & safety.
- Visual Merchandising experience is advantageous.
- HR & people performance management.
- Remuneration from $68,500 + super and inline with national employment standards (https://www.fairwork.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/724/Fair-Work-Information-Statement.pdf.aspx).
- A set roster of full time hours (38/week + reasonable additional hours [given as TIL]).
- Additional leave outside of the national employment standards
- Contribution towards role related training
- Discounts on gear
- Fun and inclusive workplace
- Exciting industry to work in
- Easily find a climbing/adventure partner
We are a highly driven group of people who are in the industry to pursue the love of our sport/s, and don’t mind having a laugh or two whilst we do it. We are strong believers in creating and being part of an equal opportunity and harmonious climbing community. Some of the ways which we support our community include:
- Sponsoring social climbing competitions at your local gym.
- Sponsoring events run by clubs including Women Uprising, ClimbingQT’s, Affinity Initiative and local climbing clubs.
- Supporting local climbers in their pursuit of their climbing goals with free gear and travel expenses.
- Financially supporting state based climbing access groups.
- Organising crag clean ups on Clean Up Australia Day most years.
- Supporting local climbers and groups that are actively maintaining cliff hardware with free equipment.
We are committed to creating a welcoming and supportive work environment. Our team is a diverse group of people of varying levels of skill, experience and backgrounds. Climbing Anchors welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds, including people from the LGBTQIA+ community.
If you are interested in being part of the Climbing Anchors team and helping to shape our future we would love to hear from you.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like something you may be interested in, email your CV and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.
If you wish to discuss the role further before applying please reach out to Rosie using the email above.
Interviews will be scheduled from 10/01/2024 onwards.