Work With Us
We are climbers, we support climbers and we employ climbers. Climbing Anchors is the best place in the world to work, we think so anyway.
To work at Climbing Anchors, you've gotta have a sense of humour and an enthusiastic attitude. Knowledge of climbing, equipment, and the outdoors in general is essential.
Duty Manager - Alexandria Location
ABOUT CLIMBING ANCHORS
Homegrown Australian gear store founded in 2004 and been rapidly growing since 2010. Initially we were an online only operation but now offer both online and physical shopping. We opened our Alexandria Store in 2017 and two more stores, in Collingwood and Lane Cove, in 2018. Our stores are more than just locations to buy gear; the staff are all enthusiastic climbers who love getting out there and engaging in our sport, and sharing stories of each others adventure.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Alexandria store has grown over the last two years and we are looking for an enthusiastic climber to join the leadership team in the role of Duty Manager. The store is a 10min walk from Green Square train station, and is halfway between the station and the 9Degrees bouldering gym. Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym is a 30min walk away.
As Duty Manager, you will be responsible for working alongside the Retail Operations Managers to deliver outstanding customer service, maximise sales, and ensure the overall health of the Alexandria Store. Additional responsibilities include developing your staff through coaching, training, climbing and providing feedback on new gear and product information.
To succeed in this role you will be motivated by seeing climbers get the gear they need, driving sales, talking about climbing, hanging out with climbers, and passionate about providing a memorable service experience for every climber.
This is a full time permanent position and will require availability over weekends, late night trading hours and public holidays.
- Be principally responsible for the Alexandria retail store as well as helping with the online store operations.
- Implement the retail strategies based on marketing and retail direction from other managers.
- Manage rosters and wages to stay under budget.
- Clearly and concisely communicate business and store objectives to the CA team so everyone remains well informed of business activity (reports, Skype, Slack).
- Train new staff in accordance to CA policy.
- Continuously improve your technical and practical knowledge of all climbing gear in the market.
- Ensure that the visual presentation of the store represents the brand image.
- Actively seek out and communicate with various clubs within Sydney, such as uni clubs and climbing clubs and develop new business opportunities.
- Recruit and train staff as needed to ensure sufficient coverage for all shifts.
- Attend climbing events as sponsors and host pop up stores in gyms.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Achieve monthly sales budgets
- Effectively manage all controllable costs
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Must be a rock climber. Trad experience is preferred but not essential.
- Previous supervisory/management experience, ideally in a retail environment
- Confidence providing praise and improvement feedback to your team
- Ability to provide a genuine and unique customer experience
- Knowledge in loss prevention and health & safety
- Visual Merchandising experience advantageous
- Cheap gear!
- Fun team
- Exciting space to work in
- Easily find a belay
- No longer have to belay for food/beer
We are a laid back but highly driven group of people who are in the industry to pursue the love of our sport. Rosters are flexible and rotating, as we understand that weekends are for climbing! We have very low staff turnover as once you have joined the team, it becomes very hard to leave. Many of the team have been with us since opening.
HOW TO APPLY: If this sounds like something you may be interested, email your CV to email@example.com and we will be in touch.
This position will be advertised until we find an approprate candidate so apply now.
There are no further positions available at the moment but if you would like to send through your information to be considered when a position pops us email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org