Bolting Info Links
The Following resources will be useful to people developing climbing areas or considering rebolting existing climbs. Please keep in mind that bolts are not appropriate in many locations and find out what the local climbing ethics are before firing up the drill .
- Victorian Climbing Club - Bolting Policy
- Safer Cliffs Australia - How to Bolt: Very good information about how to bolt a route and what type of bolts to use. Includes a section on ethics.
- Safer Cliffs Australia - Installing Rap Anchors: Information about the installation of a number of different rap anchors / lower offs.
Sea Cliff Bolting
- ASCA - Devil and The Deep Blue Sea: Warnings about bolting near sea cliff with information on Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC)
- Ushba - Makers of the Titanium Ring Bolt: More information about SCC and sea cliff bolting
- Safer Cliffs - Different Bolt Types: Fantastic link with images regarding different bolts and their appropriate uses.
- ASCA - Bolt to Avoid: General information about which bolts to avoid using for rock climbing which may look ok a first glance.
- ASCA - Mechanical Bolts: Info about the different mechanical bolts commonly used in the US. Information is still relevant to Australian conditions.
- ASCA - Adhesive Bolts: Info on hole preparation and use of adhesives for bolts.
- ASCA - How To Camo a Bolt: Provides useful information on how to camouflage a bolt to lower the visual impact of bolting a route.
- Steves Thesis: Ever wondered about 'The Strength and Reliability of Chemically Bonded Rock Climbing Anchors in Sandstone'? This Thesis has basic information of the strengths of various bolts in sandstone blocks. It also compares the shaft treatment to the overall strength of the bolt.
- Safer Cliffs Australia - Rebolting Tips
- ASCA - Rebolting Clinic
- ASCA - Removing Rawl Bolts
- ASCA - How To Rebolt a Route
- ASCA - Are Bolts Time Bombs